Friday, May 9, 2008

My Appreciation for my Mother

So the second Sunday in May is typically referred to as Mother's Day. I normally don't go all out for it because we weren't raised that way. I mean, we did the customary stuff - dinner, cards, flowers, the "mother's ring" with all of the birthstones representing each of the children (there are seven of us). Somehow, it all seemed so meaningless because my mother is my mother everyday and has been for the last 32 years of my life and will continue to be. We are ridiculously close, very similar in temperament, and we are both witty and sarcastic. My mother's sense of humor is absolutely wonderful!

My mother also raised me with an extraordinary sense of self-confidence and independence. Even when things were lean and we didn't have much, my mother had hope and passed that hope on to all of us, but seemed to give me a little extra. I know it had nothing to do with me being a male child, but more to do with the fact that my mother sees so much of herself in me.

So today, my dedication will be to my mother, Sandra. You are my friend, touchstone, confidant, cheerleader, advisor, psychiatrist, therapist, relationship counseler, career advisor, political pundit, nurturer, protector, inspiration, teacher, and leader. Thank you for being who you are and never changing for anyone or anything. I love, appreciate, and admire you.

You're one hell of a woman and I can only hope to be one hell of a son!

Happy Mother's Day!

Readers: Feel free to include your own sentiments about your own mother's here.

1 comment:

Woman in Transition said...

And she's done a helluva job!

Blessings!